Prashant's Weblog
Random Brain "Droppings" of yet another software engineer







Monday, June 27, 2005

How to hire Software Engineers!

One of interesting article that is making rounds in the blog circuit these days is the article by Joe Kraus "Engineer Interview Triage?"
Joe Kraus in his blog has listed set of three questions that can help in identifying the right candidate for a Engineer position. According to Joe, if you have a startup and are looking to fill a vacant Engineer position, then the three important characteristics to look for in a potential candidate are..
1) communication
2) tinkering
3) passion for coding

and the best way to find if he has any of these is by asking three simple questions ..
Do you have a blog? What's your home page? Do you contribute to an open source project?

To be frank..I fail miserably in Joe's interview...I do blog, but I do not have a home page of my own and my contribution to Open source is nil(though I use many open source tools). But does these questions really corelate to success as Joe has said? I do not know..I can cite umpteen number of people who do not have a blog or home page and do not contribute to open source, but have achieved tremendous success, that too in startups.

So the conclusion is; Though success may not entirely depend on the fact whether you blog or not or you have a home page or not, but a person who does all the three has a better chance of being successful(i guess).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home