Prashant's Weblog
Random Brain "Droppings" of yet another software engineer







Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Reminiscence - my last few days with previous employer

Its been a week since I quit my job with a MNC here in Bangalore. Looking back now, I really do not regret my decision considering the fact that I did(still don't) not have a "backup" job so to say.

Things were becoming "difficult" at workplace. I was not enjoying the work and hence could feel that I am not contributing my 100%.There were couple of other reasons also. So the best one way out, before my relation with my organisation go sour was to make this tough decision of parting away and so I did :(. So was I right in severing off the relations? well I am not very sure, may be I will dedicate a separate blog entry for that discussion.

So between the time I put down my papers and the day I was relieved of my duty, I happen to experience a kaleidoscope of emotions ranging from sadness, frustration to some ext ream happiness.

Just after I resigned, I had series of follow up meetings with my manager. It was clear that my decision did not go down very well with him. On one end he was doing his bit to change my mind and at the other end I adamantly sticking to my decision.So after couple of meeting, it was clear to both of us that abiding by my decision was probably the best way out. Then came the change, my manager stopped talking to me, not a word exchanged after those meetings. It was as though because of some bug in law of Physics there was a sort of vacuum created between me and him, making the communication impossible. I am still not able to decipher as to what was the root cause for this sudden change, but this led to a brief period of extremely frustrating period. I had absolutely no idea where things were heading. There was absolutely no communication regarding my relieving dates. So when times are frustrating creative side of you goes flowing, had some time, so doctored "The Clash" lyrics which neatly sums up my frustration

Sudipta* you gotta let me know
Should I stay or should I go?
If you say that my salary(take home not ctc) will be half of yours
I'll be here till the end of time
So you got to let know
Should I stay or should I go?

Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?

Always its off shore work and no on site
One year is fine, next is black
So if you cant sent me off our shore
Well come on and let me know

Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?

This indecision's bugging me
If you can't send me, set me free
Exactly how long I'm supposed to be here
Come on and let me know
Should I cool it or should I blow?

Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?


* Names have be altered


So things chugged on like this for couple of weeks. Then things started to happen. My relieving dates were announced and the whole process went on very smooth. So on March 24, 2006 exactly 2 years after I joined(march 24, 2004)I quit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home