Prashant's Weblog
Random Brain "Droppings" of yet another software engineer







Sunday, April 09, 2006

Contradictions - way of life

Recently one of the biggest consultancy firms based out in Bangalore posted an ad asking for "Expert" PL/SQL developers to join them.

So during course of preparation for technical round of interview, I realised that I dont have a PL/SQL book, brilliant. So had to rush to the nearest book stall to find a book that will do a miracle of transforming a "PL/SQL retard" (that's me) to an Expert(that's what I need to be) overnight. After careful assessment of various author's subject matter expertise(hahahaha), there delivery style, I picked the book "Teach Yourself PL/SQL in 21 days"(hmm...I can see my negative cash flow position(sugar coated and sophisticated word for financially broke) contributing largely to this decision..ok I admit this was the cheapest book available on the shelf) to partner me in my quest.

After I come back home, while I was surfing the net. I got to read the gist of the research paper "Expert Performance - Its Structure and Acquisition" by K. Anders Ericsson and Neil Charness. It says

It takes about ten years to develop expertise in any of a wide variety of areas


I respond to ad which is looking for Experts, I purchase the book Learn PL/SQL in 21 days and then happen to read about research that prophesies that it needs 10 years to develop expertise.

Well all I could think of at that point in time was, such is life, life is full of contradictions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home